Since its creation in 1923, The Hague Academy of International Law has occupied the premises of the Peace Palace alongside the highest judicial institutions which includes the Permanent Court of Arbitration, the Permanent Court of International Justice, and its successor the International Court of Justice. It is a centre for teaching and research in public and private international law, with the aim to further scientific and advanced studies of the legal aspects of international relations.
The Academy’s scientific board, the Curatorium, invites highly qualified academics, practitioners and diplomats from all over the world to give courses in English or French, with simultaneous interpretation. These courses are on general or specialized subjects and take the form of a lecture series.
The courses are published in the series Recueil des cours de l'Académie de Droit International de la Haye (Collected courses of The Hague Academy of International Law, or in short Recueil des cours), which now spans over more than 400 volumes and is undoubtedly the most important encyclopedic publication on public and private international law. Since 2008 the Recueil des cours are also available in a fully searchable online edition through Brill and HeinOnline. You can find the Terms and Conditions for Online Content here.
The Hague Academy of International Law
The Hague Academy is a prestigious international institution for the study and teaching of public and private international law and related subjects. The work of the Academy receives the support and recognition of the United Nations. Its purpose is to encourage a thorough and impartial examination of the problems arising from international relations in the field of law. The courses deal with the theoretical and practical aspects of the subject, including legislation and case law. All courses at the Academy are, in principle, published in the language in which they were delivered in the Recueil des cours.