Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) is a category of investment that reflects the objective of establishing a lasting interest by a resident enterprise in one economy in an enterprise that is resident in an economy other than that of the direct investor. The lasting interest implies the existence of a long-term relationship between the direct investor and the direct investment enterprise and a significant degree of influence on the management of the enterprise. Basic forms of FDI are investment made to develop a production or manufacturing plant from the ground up (“greenfield investments”), mergers and acquisitions, and joint ventures. Three components of FDI are usually identified: equity capital, reinvested earnings, and intracompany loans.
FDI is considered to be both an important indicator and a driving force of what is called economic globalization. The growth of FDI has been facilitated by various political actors, including national governments and international organizations. FDI inflow is considered as a crucial presupposition of economic development. FDI has potentially both positive and negative effects on host economies. These effects depend on a number of factors, including a host economy’s level of development, the type of investment, and the position of the particular investment site in the investor’s business strategy.
The International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) is an autonomous international institution established under the Convention on the Settlement of Investment Disputes between States and Nationals of Other States. The primary purpose of ICSID is to provide facilities for conciliation and arbitration of international investment disputes. The ICSID Convention is a multilateral treaty formulated by the Executive Directors of the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the World Bank). It was opened for signature on March 18, 1965 and entered into force on October 14, 1966.
Although ICSID is considered to be the leading international arbitration institution devoted to investor-State arbitration, the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) agreement between the European Union and the United States included an investor-state dispute settlement (ISDS) mechanism, whereby individual foreign investors may bring claims against host state governments for breach of the TTIP’s investment protection standards. This ISDS system is comparable to what has been included in agreements such as the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) between the EU and Canada, the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA 'Chapter 11'), and the Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA-DR).
This Research Guide is intended as a starting point for research on Foreign Direct Investment. It provides the basic legal materials available in the Peace Palace Library, both in print and electronic format. Handbooks, leading articles, bibliographies, periodicals, serial publications and documents of interest are presented in the Selective Bibliography section. Links to the PPL Catalogue are inserted. The Library's subject heading (keyword) Foreign Direct Investment is instrumental for searching through the Catalogue. Special attention is given to our subscriptions on databases, e-journals, e-books and other electronic resources. Finally, this Research Guide features links to relevant websites and other online resources of particular interest.
Sources of international law
- Convention on the Settlement of Investment Disputes between States and Nationals of Other States [Washington, D.C., 18 March 1965]
- ICSID Convention, Regulations and Rules
- Paparinskis, M. (ed.), Basic Documents on International Investment Protection, Second edition, Oxford, Hart Publishing, 2019.
- Schreuer, C.H., The ICSID Convention: A Commentary: A Commentary on the Convention on the Settlement of Investment Disputes between States and Nationals of Other States, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- Bishop, R.D., Crawford, J. and Reisman, W.M., Foreign Investment Disputes: Cases, Materials and Commentary, Second edition, Alphen aan den Rijn, Wolters Kluwer, Law & Business, 2014. [e-book]
- Lim, C.L., Ho, J. and Paparinskis., M., International Investment Law and Arbitration: Commentary, Awards, and other Materials, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2018.
- Gaillard, E., La jurisprudence du CIRDI, Paris, Pedone, 2004.
- ICSID Reports
- Ruiz Fabri, H. and E. Stoppioni (eds), International Investment Law: An Analysis of the Major Decisions, Oxford; New York, Hart Publishing; Bloomsbury Publishing, 2022.
- Bungenberg, M. and Reinisch, A. (eds.), From Bilateral Arbitral Tribunals and Investment Courts to a Multilateral Investment Court: Options regarding the Institutionalization of Investor-State Dispute Settlement, Berlin, Springer, 2020.
- Chaisse, J. , Choukroune, L. and Jusoh, S. (eds.), Handbook of International Investment Law and Policy, Singapore Springer, 2021.
- Dolzer, R., U. Kriebaum and C. Schreuer, Principles of International Investment Law, Third Edition, 2 Volumes, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2022.
- Esplugues, C. (ed.), Foreign Investment and Investment Arbitration in Asia, Cambridge, Intersentia, 2019. [e-book]
- Gáspár-Szilágyi, S., Behn, D. and Langford, M. (eds.), Adjudicating Trade and Investment Disputes: Convergence or Divergence?, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2020. [e-book]
- Hober, K., Investment Treaty Arbitration: Problems and Exercises, Northampton, MA, USA, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2018.
- Kahn, P. et T.W. Wälde, Les aspects nouveaux du droit des investissements internationaux, La Haye, Académie de droit international de La Haye, 2007.
- Kinnear, M.N. [et al.] (eds.), Building International Investment Law: the First 50 Years of ICSID, Alphen aan den Rijn, Kluwer Law International, 2016. [e-book]
- Krajewski, K. and Hoffmann, R.T. (eds.), Research Handbook on Foreign Direct Investment, Cheltenham, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2019.
- Malintoppi, L. and Tan, C. (eds.), Investment Protection in Southeast Asia : a Country-by-Country Guide on Arbitration Laws and Bilateral Investment Treaties, Leiden, Brill Nijhoff, 2017.
- Nanteuil, A. de, Droit international de l'investissement, 3e édition, Paris, Pedone, 2020.
- Salacuse, J.W., The Law of Investment Treaties, Third edition, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2021.
- Scheu, J. (ed.), Creation and Implementation of a Multilateral Investment Court, Baden-Baden, Nomos; Wien, facultas; Zürich, Dike Verlag; Oxford, Hart Publishing, 2022.
- Yannaca-Small, K. (ed.), Arbitration under international investment agreements: a guide to the key issues, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2018. [e-book]
Selected books and articles
- Ackermann, T. and Wuschka, S., Investments in conflict zones: the role of international investment law in armed conflicts, disputed territories, and 'frozen' conflicts, Leiden, Boston, Brill Nijhoff, 2021. [e-book]
- Akbaba, M. and Capurro, G. (eds.), International Challenges in Investment Arbitration, New York, Taylor & Francis Group, 2019.
- Anderson, A.M. and Beaumont, B. (eds.), The Investor-State Dispute Settlement System: Reform, Replace or Status Quo? Alphen aan den Rijn, Kluwer Law International, 2021.
- Audit, M., Bollée, S. et Callé, P., Droit du commerce international et des investissements étrangers, 3e édition, Issy-les-Moulineaux, LGDJ, 2019.
- Baetens, F., "Protecting Foreign Investment and Public Health through Arbitral Balancing and Treaty Design", International and Comparative Law Quarterly, Vol. 71 (2022), No. 1, pp. 139-182.
- Dahlquist, J., The use of commercial arbitration rules in investment treaty disputes: domestic courts, commercial arbitration institutions and tribunal jurisdiction, Leiden, The Netherlands, Koninklijke Brill NV, 2021.
- De Brabandere, E., Gazzini, T. and Kent, A., (eds.), Public Participation and Foreign Investment Law: from the Creation of Rights and Obligations to the Settlement of Disputes, Leiden, Boston, Brill Nijhoff, 2021.
- De Stefano, C., Attribution in International Law and Arbitration, First edition, Oxford, United Kingdom, Oxford University Press, 2020.
- Ebert, B.P., Forum Shopping in International Investment Law: Forum Planning, Forum Enhancement, and Facilitation of Procedure - Assessment and Limits, Tübingen, Mohr Siebeck, 2017.
- Fouret, J., Gerbay, R.and Alvarez, G. (eds.), The ICSID convention, regulations and rules: a practical commentary, Cheltenham, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2019.
- Fukunaga, Y., "Precedent in Investment Arbitration: is an Institutionalized Investment Court more desirable?", In: Chia-Jui Cheng (ed.) A New Global Economic Order: New Challenges to International Trade Law, Leiden, Brill Nijhoff, 2022, pp. 301-339.
- Gattini, A., Tanzi, A. and Fontanelli, F. (eds.), General principles of law and international investment arbitration, Leiden, Boston, Brill Nijhoff, 2018.
- Geneste, A., Performance requirement prohibitions in international investment law, Leiden, Boston, Brill Nijhoff, 2019.
- Hazarika, A., State-to-state Arbitration based on International Investment Agreements: Scope, Utility and Potential, Cham, Springer, 2020. [e-book]
- Kammerhofer, J., International Investment Law and Legal Theory: Expropriation and the Fragmentation of Sources, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2021.
- Kozyakova, A., Foreign Investor Misconduct in International Investment Law, Cham Springer, 2021. [e-book]
- Kryvoi, Y., International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), Fourth edition, Kluwer Law International, 2020. [e-book]
- McLachlan, C., Shore, L. and Weiniger, M., International Investment Arbitration: Substantive Principles, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2017.
- Pahis, S, "BIT's & Bonds: the International Law and Economics of Sovereign Debt", American journal of international law, 115 (2021), No. 2, pp. 242-280.
- Pantaleo, L.,The Participation of the EU in International Dispute Settlement: Lessons from EU Investment Agreements, Cham, Springer, 2019. [e-book]
- Perrone, N.M., Investment Treaties and the Legal Imagination: How Foreign Investors Play By Their Own Rules, Oxford, OUP, 2021. [e-book]
- Sharmin, T., Application of Most-Favoured-Nation Clauses by Investor-State Arbitral Tribunals: Implications for the Developing Countries, Singapore, Springer, 2020.
- Sornarajah, M., The International Law on Foreign Investment, Fifth edition, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2020.
- Stanič, A. and Baltag, C. (eds.), The Future of Investment Treaty Arbitration in the EU: Intra-EU BITs, the Energy Charter Treaty, and the Multilateral Investment Court, Alphen aan den Rijn, Kluwer Law International, 2020. [e-book]
- Tanzi, A.M., "On judicial autonomy and the autonomy of the parties in international adjudication, with special regard to investment arbitration and ICSID annulment proceedings", Leiden Journal of International Law, 33 (2020), No. 1, pp. 57-75.
- VanDuzer, J.A. and Leblond, P. (eds.), Promoting and Managing International Investment: Towards an Integrated Policy Approach, Abingdon, Routledge, 2020.
- Yen, T.H., The Interpretation of Investment Treaties, Leiden, Boston,Brill Nijhoff, 2014.
- Zrilič, J., The Protection of Foreign Investment in Times of Armed Conflict, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2019.
Periodicals, serial publications
- Arbitraje: Revista de arbitraje comercial y de inversiones
- Arbitration International
- European investment law and arbitration review
- Global Trade and Customs Journal
- ICSID Reports
- ICSID Review: Foreign Investment Law Journal
- Investment Promotion and Protection Treaties
- Journal of International Arbitration
- Journal of International Dispute Settlement
- Journal of International Economic Law
- Journal of World Investment and Trade
- Manchester Journal of International Economic Law
- Northwestern Journal of International Law and Business
- Reinisch, A. (ed.), Classics in International Investment Law, 2 Vols., Cheltenham, UK, Northampton, MA, USA, Edward Elgar, 2014.
- Recht der internationalen Wirtschaft
- Studien zum internationalen Investitionsrecht
- Syracuse Journal of International Law and Commerce
- World Trade Review
- Yearbook on International Investment Law & Policy
- Kost, I.L. and M. Statius Muller, "Selected Bibliography on International Investment Law", Austrian Review of International and European Law, 13 (2008), pp. 469-497.
- Statius Muller, M. and H. Thyssen, "Selected Bibliography on International Investment Law", New Aspects of International Investment Law, Leiden, Nĳhoff, 2007, pp. 853-987.